morning after? if it's a pill it must be halal...

Was in a pharmacy the other day and noticed a display, prominently placed on the counter, for "la pilule du lendemain," or the morning-after pill. Mentioned to the pharmacist that I was surprised to see that here in Algeria, and he responded that it sold very well. Based on the atmosphere of religious fervor that I see here, I can only assume that they the average person doesn't really understand what it is, but also that its success is due in part to the Algerian love of pharmaceuticals...just tell anyone you have a cold and they'll open up their fridge which contains eggs, a few tomatoes, and dozens and dozens of syrups and injections and pills, most of which have probably expired and none of which they really know much about!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never have guessed they have the MAP in Algeria...where in DZ are you?

Nouri

labasse, hamdullah said...

Constantine...

The DP said...

I think the love of pharmaceuticals has a lot to do with the phenomenon of what I call "algerians are more french than french people" :)