no prayer today, or tomorrow

OK, so I go to wash up for prayer (in case you didn't know, muslims are the cleanest people on the planet, since they wash at least 5x a day!) and found that I have my period, so I'm exempt from praying until it's over and I've taken a bath. Regardless of what some may say, menstruation is not viewed as dirty in the Koran and in Hadith (the sayings of our prophet, Muhammad). Actually I found something about this, as told by Muhammad's wife, as follows:

Book 003, Number 0578, Sahih Muslim:
'A'isha reported: When anyone amongst us was menstruating the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) asked her to tie waist-wrapper daring the time when the menstrual blood profusely flowed and then embraced her; and she ('A'isha) observed: And who amongst you can have control over his desires as the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had over his desires.

There are other references to intimate contact between the prophet and his wives (yes, he had several, but that's a whole other story), and they show the naturalness and tenderness of their relationship and the fact that menstruation did not make the woman an "untouchable."

No comments: